#inform-video-player-1 .inform-embed margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 20px;
#inform-video-player-2 .inform-embed margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 20px;
ENGLEWOOD, Colo., March 26, 2020 /PRNewswire/ — During this evolving and unprecedented time when personal and professional lives have been disrupted, many people are finding new and innovative ways to stay connected. Whether it’s through Zoom, Skype, WebEx or one of the other popular video-conferencing platforms, it’s now easier than ever to communicate with people around the globe.
Members of Toastmasters International have been meeting face-to-face for more than 95 years, but due to the coronavirus (COVID-19), most meetings have been temporarily moved online. Many members have found online meetings to be a great way to stay connected, keep momentum going, and provide a much-needed sense of routine in a time when many people’s lives are altered, and social distancing is widespread.
To help ensure your meeting is a success, Toastmasters International offers these 10 tips for an efficient and productive online meeting:
- Select a video-conferencing platform, and do a test run prior to the meeting
- Meeting organizers should send attendees a copy of the agenda in advance
- Choose a quiet location before joining the meeting to reduce potential distractions for both yourself and other attendees
- Arrive on time or let the organizer know ahead of time if you will be late or unable to attend
- Mute your microphone when not speaking
- Adjust your camera so you can be seen, and look into the camera—not the monitor—when speaking
- Dress as you would for an in-person meeting
- Be aware of your background and make sure it’s appropriate
- Stay focused and avoid checking email or perusing other materials unrelated to the meeting
- Respect fellow attendees by refraining from distracting behavior like eating or chewing gum
“I have come to love online meetings more than in-person meetings,” says Manoj Vasudevan of Singapore, Toastmasters’ 2017 World Champion of Public Speaking. “I find online meetings to be more convenient, less expensive, and less disruptive to my schedule. They even allow me to meet more people without leaving home.”
To find a Toastmasters club where you can develop or improve your presentation, communication, and leadership skills, visit www.toastmasters.org/findaclub.
About Toastmasters International
Toastmasters International is a worldwide nonprofit educational organization that empowers individuals to become more effective communicators and leaders. Headquartered in Englewood, Colo., the organization’s membership exceeds 358,000 in more than 16,800 clubs in 143 countries. Since 1924, Toastmasters International has helped people from diverse backgrounds become more confident speakers, communicators and leaders. For information about local Toastmasters clubs, please visit www.toastmasters.org. Follow @Toastmasters on Twitter.
#inform-video-player-3 .inform-embed margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 20px;