(KUTV) Salt Lake City – Today on Fresh Living David Moon, a Respiratory Therapist with Intermountain Outreach, sat down with Kari & Brooke with some tips for using and maintaining Continuous Positive Airway Pressure machines.
- Cleaning/changing your supplies- Wash your mask after use every day, Wash all equipment as directed, minimum weekly, Wash your face immediately before putting on your mask, Change filters or clean them as scheduled.
- Fix Leaks- If your mask is leaking, might need a new cushion or headgear.
- Watch out for tender spots- If you have skin breakage and skin redness, make sure you are washing, check your cushion, let heal, but understand why there is skin breakage.
- Practice using your CPAP, if you are not using it, it is not doing you any good- Daytime practice, incrementally increase your usage, wear your mask more often (even if you’re not hooked up).
- Own your sleep! Follow up with sleep professional at least annually, Don’t be a victim; Take ownership of your sleep apnea and sleep therapy.
For more information go to, KUTV.com/features/health/ask-the-expert/ask-the-expert-sleep