The Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law is a nonpartisan law and policy institute that seeks to improve systems of democracy and justice in the United States. We work to hold our political institutions and laws accountable to the twin American ideals of democracy and equal justice for all. Brennan Center’s work ranges from voting rights to campaign finance reform, from ending mass incarceration to preserving Constitutional protection in the fight against terrorism. Part think tank, part advocacy group, part cutting edge communications hub, we start with rigorous research. We craft innovative policies. And we fight for them – in Congress and the states, the courts, and in the court of public opinion.
The Director of Digital Marketing & Advocacy will direct all marketing and advocacy work on online channels with a focus on generating ideas and tools to support and develop the growth in digital marketing and fundraising; the operation and the cultivation of supporters, and the development of online marketing campaigns. The Director will oversee the Data & Digital Technology team, and will supervise and guide marketing and fundraising professionals (internal and vendors) to produce outstanding campaign communications and fundraising initiatives that deliver high levels of action and program engagement, and donations. S/he will also be responsible for the development of online fundraising strategy and will carry out the implementation of the online marketing and campaigns initiatives. This role is responsible and accountable for all online fundraising initiatives from inception to successful final analysis.
Reporting directly to the VP, Communications & Strategy, the Director will lead and empower the Marketing & Advocacy team, oversee all strategic initiatives, and be a strong liaison with development and program staff.
The Marketing & Advocacy department is responsible for the full lifecycle of online marketing and fundraising activities, from list growth, engagement and retention and site visit strategy, email marketing, SEO/SEM, to quantifying and qualifying the impact of all online marketing efforts and reporting results. The Director will work with teams across the organization to develop and implement online plans and tracking mechanisms to grow Brennan Center’s online presence and brand, including developing strategies to drive traffic to websites and converting visitors into members, donors, supporters and advocates. The ideal candidate will be a tech-savvy fundraiser who is passionate about (and experienced with) online marketing and content delivery, and has a successful track record in acquisition marketing and digital engagement.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a seasoned, creative and entrepreneurial professional who has deep experience with online fundraising marketing to join a successful organization at a critical time of growth.
- Oversee all online marketing activities for the entire Brennan Center Communications & Strategy Department, including innovating, developing, implementing, and managing smart online fundraising techniques and technologies with the intent to grow and engage Brennan Center’s online community, increase open and click-through rates, and increase conversion, and increase donations.
- Develop a clear vision for growing and retaining supporter base and engaging that base to achieve strategic outcomes.
- Grow and deepen affinity within Brennan Center’s community of opinion leaders and the attentive public through outreach campaigns, partnerships, search engine optimization and social and traditional media outlets.
- Oversee the strategy of digital communication channels (social media, blog, email and other online communications content), leading efforts to produce relevant and engaging communications to the community that result in measurable action.
- Develop a digital program that uses metrics, KPIs and analytics across digital channels to respond to changing landscapes
- Maximize the use of other digital channels, such as SMS, podcasts, blogs and video, and ensure that these touchpoints are integrated where appropriate.
- Provide leadership to ensure integrated online and offline media coverage.
- Coordinate closely with Programs and Development teams to plan and execute integrated messaging campaigns.
- Keep up with trends and advances in online marketing, particularly in the nonprofit space, and work to integrate emerging technologies, developing strategies and channels that future-proof the organization’s committed base of supporters and donors.
- Participate where appropriate as a thought leader and representative of Brennan Center.
- Demonstrate creativity, out-of-the-box thinking and resourcefulness in leading team to meet ambitious growth and engagement goals.
- Lead collaborative efforts across the organization, especially with the program and membership teams.
- Foster a positive culture of enthusiasm, collaboration and excellence across the entire organization.
- Encourage strong collaboration and teamwork with other departments to plan and execute integrated messaging campaigns.
- Identify opportunities to use emerging online technologies to attract new and retain existing supporters.
- Develop strategies to identify, attract and retain new constituencies in Brennan Center’s campaign and fundraising efforts.
- At least 8 years of experience in fundraising, marketing, advocacy, nonprofit management, or advertising, with a minimum 5 years of management experience, and 5-10 years of specific online marketing experience at a nonprofit or as consultant working closely with nonprofits. Proven success in implementing effective fundraising and marketing programs with measurable results. Experience with complex production and analytical tools, modern methods of online marketing analysis, and commitment to stay current in a rapidly changing field.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing and/or advertising. Candidates with a degree in other disciplines with a proven relevant professional record will be accepted.
- Superior people and project management capabilities.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills with ability to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Effectiveness in team process, organization and time management.
- Clear communication skills and ability to lead a team.
- Proven experience in online fundraising or advocacy conversion and the development of online fundraising and/or marketing strategies.
- Experience with the development and overseeing of budgets.
- Highly organized an extraordinary ability to implement plans and ensure their completion, meeting very strict deadlines.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Emotionally mature and self-confident, with a sense of humor.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high-performing, and dynamic environment that values excellence, intelligence, and feedback.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, use independent judgment and follow-through.
Applications: Applicants will be interviewed on a rolling basis and decisions will be made as soon as exemplary candidates are identified. To apply, visit http://brennancenter.applytojob.com/apply/1xj19MDcK1/Director-Marketing-Advocacy. Please upload the following application materials: cover letter (copy and paste where indicated), resume, and contact information for three references. Also provide URLs for 3-5 projects or publications that you have managed with a narrative explanation of your role in their development; detail any challenges or complications you overcame. No phone calls or faxes. Please reference where you saw this posting.
If you have difficulty with the online system, you may send your application by e-mail to: email@example.com with “Director, Marketing & Advocacy” in the subject line, after registering in the online system. Applying through our website is strongly preferred.
The Brennan Center for Justice is committed to a workplace based on equal opportunity and a strong belief in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce. To this end, Brennan Center:
- Hires staff that reflects this country’s full range of racial, ethnic, cultural, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic identity;
- Considers and hires applicants who have been previously incarcerated;
- Creates a workplace where true diversity is fostered and different perspectives are valued and freely exchanged;
- Ensures that all members of the Brennan Center community feel welcome and respected, and have equal opportunities to thrive and advance within the institution; and
- Is committed to supporting low-income communities and communities of color particularly affected by social inequities.